Long Bien Bridge – The witness of history

(All Vietnam) – Long Bien Bridge is the first steel bridge across the Red River connecting two districts of Hoan Kiem and Long Bien district of Hanoi. It was built by the French from 1898 to 1902, named after the Governor General of Indochina Paul Doumer, it was first known as Doumer Bridge. Folk also known as The River bridge or Bo De Bridge (as it was crossing the wharf of Bo De at Gia Lam district). Currently on the bridge there is still a metal plate engraved: “1899 -1902 – Dayde & Pille – Paris”.  

The Doumer Bride  (Photo: mannup.vn)

The Doumer Bride
(Photo: mannup.vn)

Long Bien Bridge was designed as cantilever and applied by Dayde & Pille company (as used for the first time at Tobiac bridge of Paris on the railway Paris – France Orleans). The bridge has a length of 1.862m, with 19 steel girders and built stone path. The middle of the bridge is for monorail train. Both sides have road bridge for vehicles and pedestrians

Long Bien Bridge (Photo: thanhnien.com.vn)

Long Bien Bridge
(Photo: thanhnien.com.vn)

After nearly three years of construction, on February 28th 1902 the bridge was officially inaugurated and named as Doumer. After the liberation of Hanoi, it was renamed as Long Bien bridge. The bridge had its beauty in design and its construction material was, which made it the world’s second largest and most prominent in the Far East at that time.

Long Bien Bridge in the early 20th century (Photo: vi.wikipedia.org)

Long Bien Bridge in the early 20th century
(Photo: vi.wikipedia.org)

The bridge built by the French with the intention of exploiting at the First Colonization, and served to suppress the movements against the French colonial leaders of the North Vietnamese. Therefore, the bridge was built by the blood of many Vietnamese. Long Bien Bridge stood with the people of Hanoi, remained strong in the years of war against France and the United States. Long Bien Bridge is witness of of history and the bridge itself has also become the history.

The metal plate engraved: "1899 -1902 - Dayde & Pille - Paris" (Photo: thanhnien.com.vn)

The metal plate engraved: “1899 -1902 – Dayde & Pille – Paris”
(Photo: thanhnien.com.vn)

Having been through so much variation and devastation of time and wars, Long Bien Bridge now only has one dual spans at the north, dual span at the southern and a half dual span on the river retained its size and its original shape. The spans bombed down the river was replaced by semi-permanent straightening the border built on the new cylinder.

112 years have passed, but the values of the past were still remained on the bridge. The country has changed anew, the capital changed anew, but the value of the Long Bien Bridge will still endures forever. The beauty and the value of past as well as today, is the cultural heritage of the future development of Hanoi.

Photo: kenh14.vn

Photo: kenh14.vn

keo-anh-de-xem-cau-long-bien-lot-xac-theo-thoi-gian (2)

Photo: kenh14.vn

keo-anh-de-xem-cau-long-bien-lot-xac-theo-thoi-gian

Photo: kenh14.vn

keo-anh-de-xem-cau-long-bien-lot-xac-theo-thoi-gian (3)

Photo: kenh14.vn

keo-anh-de-xem-cau-long-bien-lot-xac-theo-thoi-gian (4)

Photo: kenh14.vn



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.